Coughlin is a widely respected digital storage analyst and business/technology consultant. President of Coughlin Associates, in San Jose, Calif., he has worked more than 35 years in the digital storage industry, with engineering and management positions at high profile companies. Coughlin holds six patents, and publishes many newsletters and industry reports. He is also the author of Digital Storage in Consumer Electronics: The Essential Guide (Newnes Press, Inc.).
An IEEE Senior Member, Coughlin is the 2016-2017 Chair of the IEEE Public Visibility Committee; and the 2017 Vice President for IEEE-USA Professional Activities. In addition, he is past Director for IEEE Region 6, as well as active in the IEEE Consumer Electronics Society, and other professional organizations. Coughlin is also a member of the Consultants Network of Silicon Valley (CNSV).
During his term, Coughlin will work with IEEE-USA regions to increase the value of IEEE membership, and further IEEE’s motto of advancing technology for humanity. He wants to reverse the declining membership in Regions 1-6 by providing greater outreach to industry that includes membership support; creating policies and initiatives that have greater value to the next generation of technologists; and honoring IEEE members throughout their entire career. Further, Coughlin wants members to engage more with STEM activities, and he hopes to create better and greater connections between college and higher-grade members. Coughlin wants all parts of the IEEE to work efficiently and well together.
“IEEE must be engaged in things that attract new participants, and meet their needs. I want IEEE to be cool and fun!” he said.
Other initiatives Coughlin will support during his term include:
- Making sure that IEEE and IEEE member interests are represented to the U.S. Government
- Increasing IEEE membership in the United States, by engaging our members, and providing value to them
- Promoting corporate membership programs that increase overall IEEE membership, and engage industry with the IEEE
- Supporting regional and IEEE USA meetings to engage students and YPs
- Creating greater value around IEEE local section meetings
- Supporting engagement and mutual activities with multiple IEEE organizational units, to increase overall IEEE effectiveness
- Increasing sponsorship and partnerships for IEEE USA activities, to increase IEEE-USA’s effectiveness
- Coughlin will begin his term on 1 January 2019, succeeding 2018 IEEE-USA President Sandra “Candy” Robinson.
Georgia C. Stelluto is IEEE-USA’s Publishing Manager; Manager and Editor of IEEE-USA E-BOOKS; Editor for IEEE-USA Conference Brief; and IEEE-USA InFocus Department Editor for IEEE-USA InSight.