One of the reasons IEEE-USA was established in 1972 was to help broaden the Institute’s career role for members, by having more non-technical services offerings, such as career training, for its U.S. members. Since that time, IEEE-USA has worked hard to bolster IEEE’s career services offerings for U.S. engineers. Webinars are a big part of our non-technical services. Did you know IEEE-USA webinars initially started out mostly focusing on providing career training to U.S. engineers? And over the past three years, IEEE-USA has built a substantial library of career focused webinars.
Some of our older webinars still provide excellent information, if you’re preparing for, or currently doing, a job search.
- Nathalie H. Thompson, a career management consultant with Right Management, conducted What are HR professionals looking for in a Resume? Ms. Thompson provides excellent advice about what information to include in your resume, what key words to include, and a basic overview of how a resume should be arranged.
Finding Job Opportunities
IEEE-USA has invested a lot of time in providing webinars by different career consultants on networking. The webinar titles speak for themselves about our focus on helping IEEE members find job opportunities:
- Sherri Edwards, career coach/trainer/consultant at Resource Maximizer, gave a great webinar on How to Win in a Competitive Job Market.
- Peggy Hutchinson, a long-time IEEE-USA volunteer and career consultant, presented her take on finding the right job opportunity, with her webinar Getting the Job You Want: Tools for Making the Short List.
Finding job openings, submitting resumes, and interviewing are important; however, once a member finds employment–it’s important to outline future career goals. IEEE-USA also provides webinars on career development:
- Nigel Bristow, founder and president of Targeted Learning, a research-grounded training and consulting firm, conducted the Beyond Job Satisfaction webinar–to help IEEE members prioritize and develop a career roadmap to help them achieve their career goals.
- The webinar, Engineering Business Savvy, conducted by the late George McClure, a retired systems engineer, and Pegotty Cooper, owner of a leadership and career coaching company, focuses on how you can increase your value to your employer.
If you’re in need of help with anything from resume development to career management, IEEE-USA has a webinar to explore it. Check out all IEEE-USA career webinars; we’re sure we have a topic there that will interest you!
Daryll Griffin is IEEE-USA’s program manager for careers & innovation programs